fredag, juni 13, 2008

Natural language processing

"We will often imply additional information in spoken language by the way we place stress on words. The sentence "I never said she stole my money" demonstrates the importance stress can play in a sentence, and thus the inherent difficulty a natural language processor can have in parsing it. Depending on which word the speaker places the stress, this sentence could have several distinct meanings:
  • "I never said she stole my money" - Someone else said it, but I didn't.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I simply didn't ever say it.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I might have implied it in some way, but I never explicitly said it.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I said someone took it, I didn't say it was her.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I just said she probably borrowed it.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I said she stole someone else's money.
  • "I never said she stole my money" - I said she stole something, but not my money."

Inga kommentarer: